J2 Dependent Visa Process

Step 1

The teacher or school sends a check to the Cordell Hull Foundation, 45 Rockefeller Plaza, 20th Floor, New York, NY  10111.  This fee is payable each year that the J2 dependent lives with the teacher in the U.S.    Note:  J-2 visas are issued only to immediate family members.

2018 Fee Schedule

Arriving first year with J-1 teacher/ billed simultaneously

J-2 Spouse    US$ 200 per year
Each child       US$ 100 per year

Post arrival – requested after J-1 teacher first receives paperwork or arrives in the US

J-2 Spouse    US $300 first year         US $200 each subsequent year
Each child       US $200 first year         US $100 each subsequent year

Step 2

The teacher sends the passport(s) of the dependent (spouse or children) to pro@cordellhull.org.

Step 3

The teacher sends an email to Val Bertelsen at pro@cordellhull.org giving:

(1)   the address to which s/he wishes the visa paperwork and instructions to be mailed or Fedexed

(2)   the country where the dependent plans to apply for the J-2 visa stamp

(3)  a Fedex account number if requesting CHF to expedite the mailing or the address is difficult for US international mail delivery

Step 4

The J-2 dependent must make an appointment apply for a J-2 stamp in the passport at an American Embassy abroad.  It is not possible to obtain a J-2 visa stamp in the United States.  If the dependent is already in the U.S. in visa visitor status, s/he may apply for a stamp at an American Embassy in Canada.  See https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

Important Note:  J-2 dependents do NOT pay the SEVIS fee.

Step 5

The J-2 visa applicant follows the instructions on the website of the Embassy in the country where s/he plans to apply and pays an entrance fee of approximately $160 to process the visa. The dependent (spouse or child only) checks the website of the American Embassy in the applicable country to follow the specific procedures and to obtain any additional documents that may be required for non-immigrant visas.   The minimum document requirements for all J-2 exchange teachers are to complete the DS-160 form.

Cordell Hull Foundation for International Education
Exchange Visitor Sponsor Program No. P-3-01333
45 Rockefeller Plaza, 20th Floor, New York, NY  10111
Phone:  (646) 289-8620
Fax:  (646) 349-3455