What is CHF?
The Cordell Hull Foundation (CHF) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to Cordell Hull, 1945 Nobel Peace Prize recipient as “Father of the United Nations.” CHF has offered programs to improve foreign relations through exchange since 1951.
Click on TEACHER EXCHANGE above for detailed info about J-1 Visa sponsorship.
Culture shock is covered in CHF’s new-teacher orientations and is treated in a number of books, including Director Marianne Mason’s J1 VISA UNCLOAKED, available on amazon.com. Pascal Baudry’s cyberbook Français Américains L’autre Rive can be downloaded free of charge on: http://www.pbaudry.com/ Click on “télécharger gratuitement” to download.
Cultural information is communicated thru pageants, plays, readings, field trips, and other activities. See examples on the CULTURAL ACTIVITIES page. Students benefit through learning about customs and mores of other nationalities, as well as literature and spoken language skills. In most language immersion schools, fifth-grade students travel to the target country, stay with host families, and participate in classes with their counterparts, then reciprocate when foreign students travel to the U.S. Foreign languages represented in immersion schools are French, Spanish, Mandarin, German, Greek, and Italian.
HOW TO APPLY
*Foreign nationals teachers must …
(1) be qualified to teach in primary or secondary schools in their country of nationality or last legal residence
(2) have two years’ full-time teaching experience
(3) satisfy the standards of the US state where they will teach
(4) be proficient in the English language
(5) be of good reputation and character
(6) enter the US to teach full-time 32 hours per week minimum
(7) be currently working as a teacher in home country or country or legal residence (not as a principal, curriculum coordinator, intern, tutor)**
*2, 6, & 7 altered by new teacher regs (2-29-16)
**unless you are currently obtaining a Masters degree in education
In order to set up a working relationship to establish an Exchange Teacher Program for CHF to sponsor foreign teachers in J-1 visa status, fill out the NEW SPONSOR FORM.
Watch our 5-minute New Program video in English or Spanish. The link is listed on our INSTRUCTION VIDEOS page.
Or read the SET-UP GUIDE for detailed instructions.
Teachers may fill out an application which CHF will keep on file and submit if a school is looking for your profile.
1. Download application from FORMS page in several languages. Best to complete in English (click below).
2. Download CHF Memo of Understanding from FORMS page. Read, sign, scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHF is not a teacher recruitment nor a placement agency.
For more details, see the TEACHER EXCHANGE page.
Click here for CHF application form in English:
Click on topics below to access links:
Cordell Hull Biography
Summer Study Program
The deLesseps S. “Toni” Morrison Summer Intensive in Antigua, Guatemala, aids you to rapidly become fluent in Spanish while enjoying an idyllic setting in this quaint village. CHF has documented success for learners who stay immersed in Spanish for a sustained period without reverting to English or the learner’s native language. We recommend living with a host family. The course is very affordable.