|English ffançais español Chinese|
What is CHF?
The Cordell Hull Foundation (CHF) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to Cordell Hull, 1945 Nobel Peace Prize recipient as “Father of the United Nations.” CHF has offered programs to improve foreign relations through exchange since 1951.
Click on TEACHER EXCHANGE
above for detailed info about J1 Teacher Visa sponsorship.
Culture shock is covered in CHF’s new-teacher orientations and is treated in a number of books, including Director Marianne Mason’s J1 VISA UNCLOAKED, available on amazon.com. Pascal Baudry’s cyberbook Français Américains L’autre Rive can be downloaded free of charge on: http://www.pbaudry.com/ Click on “télécharger gratuitement” to download.
Cultural information is communicated thru pageants, plays, readings, field trips, and other activities. See examples on the CULTURAL ACTIVITIES page. In most language immersion schools, fifth-grade students travel to the target country, stay with host families, and participate in classes with their counterparts, then reciprocate when foreign students travel to the U.S. Foreign languages represented in immersion schools are French, Spanish, Mandarin, German, Greek, and Italian.
CHF is not a teacher recruitment nor a placement agency.
HOW TO APPLY
*Foreign nationals teachers must
(1) be qualified to teach in K-12 schools in their country of nationality or last legal residence
(2) have two years’ full-time teaching experience
(3) satisfy the standards of the US state where they will teach
(4) be fluent in English
(5) be of good reputation and character
(6) teach full-time 32 hours per week minimum in the US
(7) be currently working as a teacher in home country or country of last legal residence (not as a principal, curriculum coordinator, intern, tutor)**
(8) have worked in J-1 teacher visa status in the US during the previous 2 years
(9) be university professors
(10) work in day-care schools
*2, 6, & 7 altered by new teacher regs
**unless you are currently obtaining a Masters degree in education
In order to set up a working relationship to establish an Exchange Teacher Program for CHF to sponsor foreign teachers in J1 Teacher Visa status, fill out the NEW SPONSOR FORM.
Watch our 5-minute New Program video in English or Spanish. The link is listed on our INSTRUCTION VIDEOS page.
Or read the SET-UP GUIDE for detailed instructions.
Teachers may fill out an application which CHF will keep on file and submit if a school is looking for your profile. Note: The school must pay your CHF sponsorship fee.
1. Download application from FORMS page in 3 languages. Best to complete in English (click below).
2. Download CHF Memo of Understanding from FORMS page. Read, sign, scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more details, see the TEACHER EXCHANGE page.
Click here for CHF application form in English: